Monday, April 1, 2013

"Spirit of Place" by Bob Krist

I recently ordered a copy of Bob Krist's book "Spirit of Place: The Art of the Traveling Photographer" after reading it's praises on the Interweb. I want to add my voice to those who appreciate this book.


Bob - a National Geographic photographer - speaks clearly and simply describing his views on how to be a traveling photographer and how to capture the essence of the place you are visiting. He reminds me of the importance of getting close to the place you're visiting - not to be satisfied by photographing it from a "distance" literally or figuratively. I have a very hard time engaging people when we travel and Bob is particularly persuasive with practical ways to deepen both the experience of traveling and the photographs you bring home.

His advice is practical and I find myself responding positively - and actively - to his suggestions. In some cases his clear words state clearly what I've experienced but didn't pay attention to and act on. It has already been inspirational to practice some of the simple suggestions and see what works, what doesn't and why.  

The book is from 2000 and is based in the film world so there is zero discussion focused on digital techniques but I found this to simply underscore the fact that this book is about the most challenging part of photography - the part behind the camera.

It turns out too that the book has images from places we've visited which of course helps make the book more relevant! His images from St. Lucia, Venice and of course Lucy the Elephant in Margate, New Jersey really bring the advice home!

Bob's website shows he's been busy since this book was written. Check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment